Re: Proposed patch for key managment

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Proposed patch for key managment
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 07:26:48PM +0800, Neil Chen wrote:

>     Hi, everyone
>
>     I have read the patch and did some simple tests. I'm not entirely sure
>     about some code segments; e.g.:
>
>     In the BootStrapKmgr() we generate a data encryption key by:
>     key = generate_crypto_key(file_encryption_keylen);
>
>     However, I found that the file_encryption_keylen is always 0 in bootstrap
>     mode because there exitst another variable bootstrap_file_encryption_keylen
>     in xlog.c and bootstrap.c.

Oh, good point;  that is very helpful.  I was relying on SetConfigOption
to set file_encryption_keylen, but that happens _after_ we create the
keys, so they were zero length.  I have fixed this by passing
bootstrap_file_encryption_keylen to the boot routines.  The diff URL has
the fix:

    https://github.com/postgres/postgres/compare/master...bmomjian:key.diff

>     We get the REL/WAL key by KmgrGetKey() call and it works like:
>     return (const CryptoKey *) &(KmgrShmem->intlKeys[id]);
>
>     But in bootstrap mode, the KmgrShmem are not assigned. So, if we want to
>     use it to encrypt something in bootstrap mode, I suggest we make the
>     following changes:
>     if ( in bootstrap mode)
>     return intlKeys[id]; // a static variable which contains key
>     else
>     reutrn (const CryptoKey *) &(KmgrShmem->intlKeys[id]);

Yes, you are also correct here.  I had not gotten to using KmgrGetKey
yet, but it clearly needs your suggestion, so have done that.

Thanks for your help.