Re: WIP: WAL prefetch (another approach)

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: WIP: WAL prefetch (another approach)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:
> On 2020-12-04 13:27:38 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > If I follow correctly, this patch will scan ahead in the WAL and let
> > the kernel know that certain blocks will be needed soon.  Ideally,
> > though I don't think it does yet, we'd only do that for blocks that
> > aren't already in shared buffers, and only for non-FPIs (even better if
> > we can skip past pages for which we already, recently, passed an FPI).
>
> The patch uses PrefetchSharedBuffer(), which only initiates a prefetch
> if the page isn't already in s_b.

Great, glad that's already been addressed in this, that's certainly
good.  I think I knew that and forgot it while composing that response
over the past rather busy week. :)

> And once we have AIO, it can actually initiate IO into s_b at that
> point, rather than fetching it just into the kernel page cache.

Sure.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Add docs stub for recovery.conf
Сообщение: Re: Add docs stub for recovery.conf