Re: Huge memory consumption on partitioned table with FKs

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Huge memory consumption on partitioned table with FKs
Дата
Re: Huge memory consumption on partitioned table with FKs  (Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At Wed, 2 Dec 2020 22:02:50 +0900, Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote in
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 9:40 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
> <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I think this can be solved easily in the patch, by having
> > > ri_BuildQueryKey() compare the parent's fk_attnums to the parent; if
> > > they are equal then use the parent's constaint_id, otherwise use the
> > > child constraint.  That way, the cache entry is reused in the common
> > > case where they are identical.
> >
> > *I* think it's the direction.  After an off-list discussion, we
> >  confirmed that even in that case the patch works as is because
> >  fk_attnum (or contuple.conkey) always stores key attnums compatible
> >  to the topmost parent when conparent has a valid value (assuming the
> >  current usage of fk_attnum), but I still feel uneasy to rely on that
> >  unclear behavior.
>
> Hmm, I don't see what the problem is here, because it's not
> RI_ConstraintInfo that is being shared among partitions of the same
> parent, but the RI query (and the SPIPlanPtr for it) that is issued
> through SPI.  The query (and the plan) turns out to be the same no
> matter what partition's RI_ConstraintInfo is first used to generate
> it.  What am I missing?

I don't think you're missing something. As I (tried to..) mentioned in
another branch of this thread, you're right. On the otherhand
fk_attnums is actually used to generate the query, thus *issue*
potentially affects the query.  Although that might be paranoic, that
possibility is eliminated by checking the congruency(?) of fk_attnums
(or other members).  We might even be able to share a riinfo among
such children.

> BTW, one problem with Kuroda-san's patch is that it's using
> conparentid as the shared key, which can still lead to multiple
> queries being generated when using multi-level partitioning, because
> there would be many (intermediate) parent constraints in that case.
> We should really be using the "root" constraint OID as the key,
> because there would only be one root from which all constraints in a
> given partition hierarchy would've originated.  Actually, I had
> written a patch a few months back to do exactly that, a polished
> version of which I've attached with this email.  Please take a look.

I don't like that the function self-recurses but
ri_GetParentConstrOid() actually climbs up to the root constraint, so
the patch covers the multilevel partitioning cases.

About your patch, it calculates the root constrid at the time an
riinfo is created, but when the root-partition is further attached to
another partitioned-table after the riinfo creation,
constraint_root_id gets stale.  Of course that dones't matter
practically, though.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi