Re: Internal key management system

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Internal key management system
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 10:05:10PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> For example if I want to lock my database with a YubiHSM I would configure
> something like:
>
>     cluster_encryption_key = 'pkcs11:token=YubiHSM;id=0:0001;type=private'

Well, openssl uses a prefix before the password string, e.g.:

*  pass:password
*  env:var
*  file:pathname
*  fd:number
*  stdin

See 'man openssl'.  I always thought that API was ugly, but I now see
the value in it.  We could implement a 'command:' prefix now, and maybe
a 'pass:' one, and allow other methods like 'pkcs11' later.

I can also imagine using the 'file' one to allow the key to be placed on
an encrypted file system that has to be mounted for Postgres to start.
You could also have the key on a USB device that has to be inserted to
be used, and the 'file' is on the USB key --- seems clearer than having
to create a script to 'cat' the file.