Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?
Дата
Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Oct-16, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 11:41:23AM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:

> > I did some naive benchmarking.  Using a custom pgbench script with this query:

> > I can see around 2% overhead (this query is reported with ~ 3ms
> > latency average).  Adding a few joins, overhead goes down to 1%.
>
> That number is too high to enable this by default.  I suggest we either
> improve the performance of this, or clearly document that you have to
> enable the hash computation to see the pg_stat_activity and
> log_line_prefix fields.

Agreed.  This is similar to how we used to deal with query strings: an
optional feature, disabled by default (cf.  commit b13c9686d084).

In this case, I suppose using pg_stat_statement would require to have it
enabled, and it'd just not collect anything if disabled.  Similarly, the
field would show NULL in pg_stat_activity or an empty string in
log_line_prefix/CSV logs.

So users that want it can easily have it, and users that don't are not
paying the price.

For maximum user-friendliness, pg_stat_statement could be loaded and
shmem-initialized even when query ID computation is turned off, and
you'd be able to enable query ID computation with just SIGHUP; so you
don't have to restart the server in order to enable statement tracking.
(I suppose we would forbid users from disabling query ID with SET,
though.)