Re: Concurrency issue in pg_rewind

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Concurrency issue in pg_rewind
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Andrey M. Borodin (x4mmm@yandex-team.ru) wrote:
> > 18 сент. 2020 г., в 11:59, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> написал(а):
> > On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 11:31:26AM +0500, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:
> >> This is whole point of having prefetch. restore_command just links
> >> file from the same partition.
> >
> > If this stuff is willing to do so, you may have your reasons, but even
> > if you wish to locate both pg_wal/ and the prefetch path in the same
> > partition, I don't get why it is necessary to have the prefetch path
> > included directly in pg_wal?  You could just use different paths for
> > both.  Say, with a base partition at /my/path/, you can just have
> > /my/path/pg_wal/ that the Postgres backend links to, and
> > /my/path/wal-g/prefetch/ for the secondary path.
>
> This complexity doesn't seem necessary to me. What we gain? Prefetched WAL is WAL per se. Makes sense to keep it in
pg_waltree by default.

> I will implement possibility to move cache out of pg_wal (similar functionality is implemented in pgBackRest). But it
seemsuseless to me: user can configure WAL prefetch to be less performant, without any benefits.

In this case there's certainly one very clear benefit: pg_rewind will be
more robust at detecting serious issues and complaining loudly,
hopefully avoiding having users end up with corrupted clusters.  That's
certainly not nothing, from my perspective.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения

От: Robert Haas
От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Incremental sort docs and release announcement