Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct  6, 2020 at 02:34:58PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 11:23:50PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct  6, 2020 at 11:11:27AM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> >> Maybe we could add a new hook for only queryid computation, and add a
> >> GUC to let people choose between no queryid computed, core computation
> >> (current pg_stat_statement) and 3rd party plugin?
> >
> > That all seems very complicated.  If we go in that direction, I suggest
> > we just give up getting any of this into core.
>
> A GUC would have at least the advantage to make the computation
> consistent for any system willing to consume it, with the option to
> not pay any potential performance impact, though I have to admit that
> just moving the query ID computation of PGSS into core may not be the
> best option as a query ID of 0 means the same thing for a utility, for
> an initialization, and for a backend running a query with an unknown
> value, but that could be worked out.
>
> FWIW, I think that adding the system ID in the hash is too
> restrictive, as it could be interesting for users to do stat
> comparisons across multiple systems running the same major version.
> It would be better to not give any strong guarantee that the query ID
> computed will remain consistent across major versions so as it is
> possible to keep improving it.  Also, if nothing has been done that
> changes the hashing computation, I see little benefit in forcing a
> breakage by adding something like PG_MAJORVERSION_NUM or such in the
> hash computation.

I thought some more about this.  First, I think having the queryid hash
code in the server, without requiring pg_stat_statements, is a
requirement --- I think too many people will want to use this feature
independent of pg_stat_statements.  Second, I understand the desire to
have different hash computation methods, depending on what level of
detail/matching you want.

I propose moving the pg_stat_statements queryid hash code into the
server (with a version number), and also adding a postgressql.conf
variable that lets you control how detailed the queryid hash is
computed.  This addresses the problem of people wanting different hash
methods.

When computing a hash, the queryid detail level and version number will
be mixed into the hash, so only a hash that used a similar query and
identical queryid detail level would match.