Re: enable_incremental_sort changes query behavior

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: enable_incremental_sort changes query behavior
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 10:50:06AM -0400, James Coleman wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 11:16 PM James Coleman <jtc331@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 7:07 PM James Coleman <jtc331@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I was about to say that the issue here is slightly different from qual
>> > etc. pushdown, since we're not concerned about quals here, and so I
>> > wonder where we determine what target list entries to put in a given
>> > scan path, but then I realized that implies (maybe!) a simpler
>> > solution. Instead of duplicating checks on target list entries would
>> > be safe, why not check directly in get_useful_pathkeys_for_relation()
>> > whether or not the pathkey has a target list entry?
>> >
>> > I haven't been able to try that out yet, and so maybe I'm missing
>> > something, but I need to step out for a bit, so I'll have to look at
>> > it later.
>>
>> I've started poking at this, but haven't yet found a workable
>> solution. See the attached patch which "solves" the problem by
>> breaking putting the sort under the gather merge, but it at least
>> demonstrates conceptually what I think we're interested in doing.
>>
>> The issue currently is that the comparison of expressions fails -- in
>> our query, the first column selected shows up as a Var (with the same
>> contents) but is a different pointer in the em_expr and the reltarget
>> exprs list. I don't yet see a good way to get the equivalence class
>> for a PathTarget entry.
>
>Hmm, I think I was looking to do is the attached patch. I didn't
>realize until I did a lot of reading through source that we have an
>equal() function that can compare exprs. That (plus the realization in
>[1] the originally reported backtrace wasn't where the error actually
>came from) convinced me that what we need is to confirm not only that
>the all of the vars in the ec member come from the relids in the rel
>but also that the expr is actually represented in the target of the
>rel.
>
>With the gucs changed as I mentioned earlier both of the plans (with
>and without a volatile call in the 2nd select entry) now look like:
>
> Unique
>   ->  Gather Merge
>         Workers Planned: 2
>         ->  Sort
>               Sort Key: ref_0.i, (md5(ref_0.t))
>               ->  Nested Loop
>                     ->  Parallel Index Scan using ref_0_i_idx on ref_0
>                     ->  Function Scan on generate_series ref_1
>
>Without the gucs changed the minimal repro case now doesn't error, but
>results in this plan:
>
> HashAggregate
>   Group Key: ref_0.i, CASE WHEN pg_rotate_logfile_old() THEN ref_0.t
>ELSE ref_0.t END
>   ->  Nested Loop
>         ->  Seq Scan on ref_0
>         ->  Function Scan on generate_series ref_1
>
>Similarly in your six queries I now only see parallel query showing up
>in the last one.

OK, that seems reasonable I think.

>I created an entirely new function because adding the target expr
>lookup to the existing find_em_expr_for_rel() function broke a bunch
>of postgres_fdw tests. That maybe raises questions about whether that
>code also could have problems in theory/in the future, but I didn't
>investigate further. In any case we already know it excludes
>volatile...so maybe it's fine because in practice that's actually a
>broader exclusion than what we're doing here.

I don't think postgres_fdw needs these new checks, because FDW scan's
are not allowed in parallel part of the plan - if that changes in the
future, I'm sure that'll require fixes in plenty other places.

OTOH it's interesting that it triggers those failures - I wonder if we
could learn something from them? AFAICS those paths can't be built by
generate_useful_gather_paths (because of the postgres_fdw vs. parallel
query restrictions), so how do these plans look?

>This seems to fix the issue, but I'd like feedback on whether it's too
>strict. We could of course just check em_has_volatile, but I'm
>wondering if that's simultaneously too strict (by not allowing the
>volatile expression to be computed in the gather merge supposing
>there's no join) and too loose (maybe there are other cases we should
>care about?). It also just strikes me as re-encoding rules that should
>have already been applied (and thus we should be able to look up in
>the data we have if it's safe to use the expr/pathkey). Those are
>mostly intuitions though.

I don't know :-( As I mentioned before, I suspect checking just the
volatility may not be enough in some cases (leakyness, etc.) and I think
you're right it may be too strict in other cases.

Not sure I understand which rules you think we're re-encoding, but I
have a nagging feeling there's a piece of code somewhere earlier in
the query planner meant to prevent such cases (sort on path without all
the pathkeys), and that fixing it here is just a band aid :-(

I'm sure we're building plans with Sort on top of Index Scan paths, so
how come those don't fail? How come the non-parallel version of these
queries don't fail?

regards