Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?
Дата
Ответ на Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?  (Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 10:04:53AM +0200, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> I am not in the USA (and far from being US-centric as well) and I have been working
> with relational databases for over thirty years. I never had problems using unquoted
> ASCII names (using snake_case) for my database objects.
>
> Would it be nice if I could use special characters like öäü in the names of tables and columns (without the hassle of
quotingthem)?

> Yes, absolutely.
>
> Does not using them, limit me in any way doing what I want to do?
> No, it doesn't.
>
> > Always the same thing. The slightest criticism, no matter how
> > warranted, always results in: "Fine. Go somewhere else. Use something
> > else."
> > Never: "Oh, right. Sorry, but we always used lowercase ourselves and
> > therefore didn't consider this. In retrospect, it's an embarrassing
> > mistake! We'll fix it in the next release. Thanks for pointing that
> > out."
>
> Changing this behaviour has been discussed on this list multiple times.
>
> The problem is, that currently no one sees a way to change this without
> breaking all (or most) existing code that relies on it (at least not with
> the resources the project hast).
>
> It's my understanding (as a user, not a developer) that the impact on the code base would be huge, and
> the community doesn't indeed really see a benefit in doing so.
>
> It has especially been discussed to implement a behaviour that complies
> with the SQL standard which *requires* to fold non-quoted names to uppercase!

I did write a blog entry about case folding:

    https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2020.html#June_26_2020

Сообщение: Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?