Re: Query Performance in bundled requests

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: Query Performance in bundled requests
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Sep 08, 2020 at 10:30:50AM +0000, Dirk Krautschick wrote:
> Update: Better title and format corrections
>
> Hi %,
>
> in order to be able to readjust the effects of the stored procedure and, if necessary, to save turnaround times,
differentrequests can be concatenated using semicolons for bundling several statements in one request. We did some
testsagainst a postgres cluster.

> The results in terms of optimizations are as follows:
>

> Batchsize  | clients|  count Queries | average s/query| comment
> --------------|---------|----------------------|----------------------|-
> 1         | 1        |  15.86k         |  2.24ms               |
> 10         | 1        |  31.80k         |  332us               |
> 25         | 1        |  31.75k         |  312us               |
> 50         | 1        |  32.00k         |  280us               |

I guess you're looking at the minimum of 280us.

; 1/(280e-6) * 60
        ~214285.71428571428571428571

> the question remains why this is so.

You can't expect it to go a billion times faster just by putting a billion
queries in one request, and at 50 batches it looks like you've hit the next
performance bottleneck.  Whether that's CPU / IO / network / locks / RAM /
planner / context switches / logging / ??? remains to be seen.

> Does anyone has experience with something similar or are there some
> hints about how to optimize the postgres cluster for such bundled statements?

I think at this step you want to optimize for what the statements are doing,
not for the statements themselves.  Could you send a query plan for the stored
procedure ?

Also, you'd maybe want to think if there's a way you can avoid making 100s of
1000s of requests per second, rather than trying to optimize for it.  Can you
make another stored procedure which handles N requests rather than calling this
SP N times ?  There's no guarantee that won't hit the same or other bottleneck,
until you see what that is.

--
Justin

От: Dirk Krautschick
Сообщение: Query Performance in bundled requests
От: aditya desai
Сообщение: AWS RDS PostgreSQL CPU Spiking to 100%