Re: Is it possible to set end-of-data marker for COPY statement.

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Is it possible to set end-of-data marker for COPY statement.
Дата
Re: Is it possible to set end-of-data marker for COPY statement.
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep  1, 2020 at 06:14:45AM +0000, Junfeng Yang wrote:
> Hi hackers,
>
> As described in the doc https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-copy.html,
> the TEXT format recognizes
> backslash-period (\.) as end-of-data marker.
>
> The example below will raise an error for the line contains `\.`.
>
> CREATE TABLE test (
> id int,
> name text,
> dep text
> )
>
> Data in file "/tmp/data".
>
> 122,as\.d,adad
> 133,sa dad,adadad
>
> Then execute
>
> copy test from '/tmp/data' DELIMITER ',';
>
> An end-of-copy marker corrupt error will be raised.
>
> This requires users to escape the end-of-data marker manually in their data.
> Why we don't have a mechanism to define other characters as end-of-data marker?
> Or there are other ways to avoid escape the end-of-data in data?

This is the first I am hearing of this.  The problem is that the system
can't decide if \. is escaping a delimiter, or the end-of-copy marker.
I think we need to just disable period as a delimiter.  I don't think
there is enough demand to allow the end-of-data marker to be
configurable.

Interestingly, you can use period as s delimiter if you are copying from
a file that doesn't need an end-of-data marker and you never need to
escape the delimiter, but that seems like too rare a use case to allow
period to be supported as a delimiter.