Re: SyncRepLock acquired exclusively in default configuration

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: SyncRepLock acquired exclusively in default configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Wed, 19 Aug 2020 21:41:03 +0900, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote in

> >> Yes, pg_stat_replication reports a standby in sync as soon as
> >> walsender updates priority of the standby to something other than 0.
> >>
> >> The potential gotcha referred above doesn’t seem too severe.  What is
> >> the likelihood of someone setting synchronous_standby_names GUC with
> >> either “*” or a standby name and then immediately promoting that
> >> standby?  If the standby is promoted before the checkpointer on master
> >> gets a chance to update sync_standbys_defined in shared memory,
> >> commits made during this interval on master may not make it to
> >> standby.  Upon promotion, those commits may be lost.
> > I think that if the standby is quite behind the primary and in case of
> > the primary crashes, the likelihood of losing commits might get
> > higher. The user can see the standby became synchronous standby via
> > pg_stat_replication but commit completes without a wait because the
> > checkpointer doesn't update sync_standbys_defined yet. If the primary
> > crashes before standby catching up and the user does failover, the
> > committed transaction will be lost, even though the user expects that
> > transaction commit has been replicated to the standby synchronously.
> > And this can happen even without the patch, right?
>
> I think you're right. This issue can happen even without the patch.
>
> Maybe we should not mark the standby as "sync" whenever
> sync_standbys_defined
> is false even if synchronous_standby_names is actually set and
> walsenders have
> already detect that? Or we need more aggressive approach;
> make the checkpointer update sync_standby_priority values of
> all the walsenders? ISTM that the latter looks overkill...

It seems to me that the issue here is what
pg_stat_replication.sync_status doens't show "the working state of the
walsdner", but "the state the walsender is commanded". Non-zero
WalSnd.sync_standby_priority is immediately considered as "I am in
sync" but actually it is "I am going to sync from async or am already
in sync". And it is precisely "..., or am already in sync if
checkpointer already notices any sync walsender exists".

1. if a walsender changes its state from async to sync, it should once
  change its state back to "CATCHUP" or something like that.

2. pg_stat_replication.sync_status need to consider WalSnd.state
  and WalSndCtlData.sync_standbys_defined.

We might be able to let SyncRepUpdateSyncStandbysDefined postpone
changing sync_standbys_defined until any sync standby actually comes,
but it would be complex.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi