Re: EDB builds Postgres 13 with an obsolete ICU version

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: EDB builds Postgres 13 with an obsolete ICU version
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:38:38AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:24 AM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>     Not necessarily. It's likely that not all indexes use ICU collations, and
>     you still save time loading what may be large amounts of data.
>
>     I agree though, that it *could* be slow.
>
> I agree it definitely could, but I'm not sure I see any case where it would
> actually be slower than the alternative (which would be dump/reload).

Well, given that pg_upgrade is more complex to run than pg_dump/reload,
you then have to weigh the complexity of using pg_upgrade with index
rebuild vs. the simpler pg_dump.  Right now, you know pg_upgrade in link
mode is going to be fast, but with the reindex, you have a much more
complex decision to make.