Clarifying the ImportForeignSchema API

От David Fetter
Тема Clarifying the ImportForeignSchema API
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Folks,

I noticed that the API document for IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA states in
part:

    It should return a list of C strings, each of which must contain a
    CREATE FOREIGN TABLE command. These strings will be parsed and
    executed by the core server.

A reasonable reading of the above is that it disallows statements
other than CREATE FOREIGN TABLE, which seems overly restrictive for no
reason I can discern.  The list of C strings seems reasonable as a
requirement, but I think it would be better to rephrase this along the
lines of:

    It should return a list of C strings, each of which must contain a
    DDL command, for example CREATE FOREIGN TABLE. These strings will
    be parsed and executed by the core server in order to create the
    objects in the schema.

as a foreign schema might need types (the case I ran across) or other
database objects like CREATE EXTERNAL ROUTINE, when we dust off the
implementation of that, to support it.

I was unable to discern from my draft version of the spec whether
statements other than CREATE FOREIGN TABLE are specifically
disallowed, or whether it is intended to (be able to) contain CREATE
ROUTINE MAPPING statements.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778