Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2020-07-14 07:51:27 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 3:08 AM Peter Eisentraut
> > In the meantime, if you're wizard enough to deal with this kind of
> > thing, you could also clone the module from the PG14 tree and build it
> > against older versions manually.
>
> But what if you are NOT a wizard, and a wizard is giving you
> directions? Then having to build from source is a real pain. And
> that's normally the situation I'm in when a customer has this issue.

The "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..." cases should all be
fixable without needing such a function, and without it making fixing
them significantly easier, no? As far as I understand your suggested
solution, you need the tid(s) of these tuples, right? If you have those,
I don't think it's meaningfully harder to INSERT ... DELETE WHERE ctid =
.... or something like that.

ISTM that the hard part is finding all problematic tuples in an
efficient manner (i.e. that doesn't require one manual VACUUM for each
individual block + parsing VACUUMs error message), not "fixing" those
tuples.

Greetings,

Andres Freund