Re: postgis for beta releases

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: postgis for beta releases
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-yum
On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 05:09:12PM +0100, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 15:04 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > Would you consider building packages during beta ?
>
> You mean PostGIS 3.1? I thought I pushed it already :(

I think the postgis that exists for the stable release(12) should also be built
for the beta release(13).  That allows test upgrades by 1) installing same
postgis for new postgres; and 2) pg_upgrade.

Whether to build a new version of postgis is a separate question, but if you
do, I'd suggest to build for both versions of postgres when possible.  That
allows choice of which to upgrade first.

During beta period in previous years, postgis has been the one important thing
missing.  That requires us to drop our postgis columns for beta testing.  Last
year for the first time, I instead built postgis locally on a couple servers.

I think most packages aren't built for beta, which is no problem (although I
think they sometimes needed to be added after the fact).  These are on our
list: pg_repack, fincore, libpqxx-devel.

--
Justin