Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 07:10:46PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > De-deprecating the exclusive backup mode and returning that info at the
> > start and telling users "put this anywhere EXCEPT this specific place,
> > and make sure you DO put these files in that exact place when you
> > restore" would perhaps be closer to what folks who really, really, want
> > to do snapshot-based backups would want... if that ends up being a net
>
> Agreed.

Alright, in that case I think we need a victim^Wvolunteer to step up to
rewrite the documentation for backup for these two different methods,
with very clear instructions on how to do this properly (which really
should also include removing the particularly bad 'cp' command usage).

Maybe I'm wrong, but as I recall David already tried to do that once and
I doubt he's going to be interested in another round of that.

Otherwise, it seems best to stop trying to paint this as something
that's simple to do and rip the bandaid off and remove this long
deprecated method, so we can have some sane documentation for the
software writers who are writing backup solutions for PG.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения