Re: new heapcheck contrib module

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: new heapcheck contrib module
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Jun-30, Mark Dilger wrote:

> I'm guessing that hardening the backend would be a separate patch?  Or
> did you want that as part of this one?

Lately, to me the foremost criterion to determine what is a separate
patch and what isn't is the way the commit message is structured.  If it
looks too much like a bullet list of unrelated things, that suggests
that the commit should be split into one commit per bullet point; of
course, there are counterexamples.  But when I have a commit message
that says "I do A, and I also do B because I need it for A", then it
makes more sense to do B first standalone and then A on top.  OTOH if
two things are done because they're heavily intermixed (e.g. commit
850196b610d2, bullet points galore), that suggests that one commit is a
decent approach.

Just my opinion, of course.