Re: A patch for get origin from commit_ts.

От movead.li@highgo.ca
Тема Re: A patch for get origin from commit_ts.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

>> A second thing is that TransactionIdGetCommitTsData() was introdued in
>> core(73c986add). It has only one caller pg_xact_commit_timestamp() which
>> passes RepOriginId as NULL, making last argument to the
>> TransactionIdGetCommitTsData() a dead code in core.
>>
>> Quick code search shows that it is getting used by pglogical (caller:
>> https://sources.debian.org/src/pglogical/2.3.2-1/pglogical_conflict.c/?hl=509#L509).
>> CCing Craig Ringer and Petr Jelinek for the inputs.

>Another question that has popped up when doing this review is what
>would be the use-case of adding this information at SQL level knowing
>that logical replication exists since 10?  Having dead code in the
>backend tree is not a good idea of course, so we can also have as
>argument to simplify TransactionIdGetCommitTsData().  Now, pglogical
>has pglogical_xact_commit_timestamp_origin() to get the replication
>origin with its own function so providing an extending equivalent
>returning one row with two fields would be nice for pglogical so as
>this function is not necessary.  As mentioned by Madan, the portion of
>the code using TransactionIdGetCommitTsData() relies on it for
>conflicts of updates (the first win, last win logic at quick glance).

Thanks for the explanation, the origin in commit_ts seems useless, I am just
want to know why it appears there. It's ok to close this issue if we do not
want to touch it now.

And I am more interest in origin in wal, if data from a logical replicate or a
manual origin then many wal records will get a 'RepOriginId',  'RepOriginId'
in 'xact' wal record may help to do some filter, the other same dead code
too. So can you help me to understand why or the historical reason for that?

Regards,
Highgo Software (Canada/China/Pakistan)
EMAIL: mailto:movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca