Re: Fwd: PostgreSQL: WolfSSL support

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Fwd: PostgreSQL: WolfSSL support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 06:14:21PM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> Em sáb., 27 de jun. de 2020 às 16:40, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
> escreveu:
>
>     On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 04:22:51PM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
>     > Em sáb., 27 de jun. de 2020 às 09:50, Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org>
>     > escreveu:
>     >
>     >     Re: Peter Eisentraut
>     >     > What would be the advantage of using wolfSSL over OpenSSL?
>     >
>     >     Avoiding the OpenSSL-vs-GPL linkage problem with readline.
>     >
>     > I'm curious, how do you intend to solve a linking problem with
>     > OpenSSL-vs-GPL-readline, with another GPL product?
>
>     I assume you can use wolfSSL as long as the result is GPL, which is the
>     same requirement libreadline causes for Postgres, particularly if
>     Postgres is statically linked to libreadline.
>
> I don't want to divert the focus from the theread, but this subject has a
> controversial potential, in my opinion.
> I participated in a speech on another list, where I make contributions (IUP
> library: https://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/).
> Where a user, upon discovering that two sub-libraries, were GPL licenses,
> caused an uproar, bringing the speech to Mr.Stallman himself.
> In short, the best thing for the project will be to remove the two GPL
> sub-libraries.

We aleady try to do that by trying to use BSD-licensed libedit if
installed:

    https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/tree/master/lib/libedit
    https://certif.com/spec_print/readline.html

I would love to see libedit fully functional so we don't need to rely on
libreadline anymore, but I seem to remember there are a few libreadline
features that libedit doesn't implement, so we use libreadline if it is
already installed.  (I am still not clear if dynamic linking is a GPL
violation.)