Re: Ought to use heap_multi_insert() for pg_attribute/dependinsertions?

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Ought to use heap_multi_insert() for pg_attribute/dependinsertions?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 09:38:23AM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Attached is a rebased version which was updated to handle the changes for op
> class parameters introduced in 911e70207703799605.

Thanks for the updated version.

While re-reading the code, I got cold feet with the changes done in
recordDependencyOn().  Sure, we could do as you propose, but that does
not have to be part of this patch I think, aimed at switching more
catalogs to use multi inserts, and it just feels a duplicate of
recordMultipleDependencies(), with the same comments copied all over
the place, etc.

MAX_TEMPLATE_BYTES in pg_shdepend.c needs a comment to explain that
this is to cap the number of slots used in
copyTemplateDependencies() for pg_shdepend.

Not much a fan of the changes in GenerateTypeDependencies(),
particularly the use of refobjs[8], capped to the number of items from
typeForm.  If we add new members I think that this would break
easily without us actually noticing that it broke.  The use of
ObjectAddressSet() is a good idea though, but it does not feel
consistent if you don't the same coding rule to typbasetype,
typcollation or typelem.  I am also thinking to split this part of the
cleanup in a first independent patch.

pg_constraint.c, pg_operator.c, extension.c and pg_aggregate.c were
using ObjectAddressSubSet() with subset set to 0 when registering a
dependency.  It is simpler to just use ObjectAddressSet().  As this
updates the way dependencies are tracked and recorded, that's better
if kept in the main patch.

+   /* TODO is nreferenced a reasonable allocation of slots? */
+   slot = palloc(sizeof(TupleTableSlot *) * nreferenced);
It seems to me that we could just apply the same rule as for
pg_attribute and pg_shdepend, no?

CatalogTupleInsertWithInfo() becomes mostly unused with this patch,
its only caller being now LOs.  Just noticing, I'd rather not remove
it for now.

The attached includes a bunch of modifications I have done while going
through the patch (I indend to split and apply the changes of
pg_type.c separately first, just lacked of time now to send a proper
split), and there is the number of slots for pg_depend insertions that
still needs to be addressed.  On top of that pgindent has not been run
yet.  That's all I have for today, overall the patch is taking a
committable shape :)
--
Michael

Вложения