Re: manual for syntax for pg Query Tool

От Anthony E. Greene
Тема Re: manual for syntax for pg Query Tool
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On 19-Jun-2020/21:45 -0400, Richard Bernstein <richb201@gmail.com> wrote:
>My script is for mySQL and I need to run it on the Query Tool. The very
>first line which starts with a # (it is a comment) fails. Is there any
>document that describes the acceptable syntax for a script running in the
>Query Tool?

If by "Query Tool" you mean the query capability in pgAdmin, it uses
standard SQL syntax. Two dashes starts a single-line comment and
slash-asterisk starts a (potentially) multi-line comment.

Hash marks for comments are typical of shell scripts, not SQL.

PostgreSQL is compliant with standard SQL, and offers alternatives and
shortcuts in addition to its support for standard SQL. The best
documentation I know of is at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/

TG
--
Anthony E. Greene <mailto:agreene@pobox.com>