Re: Summary of DDL/DML statement return/output values?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Summary of DDL/DML statement return/output values?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 2020-Jun-22, Steve Estes wrote:

> However, for some statements PG's output format is documented (e.g. INSERT
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-insert.html>, EXPLAIN
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-explain.html>), and in others it is
> not (e.g. SET <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-set.html>, CREATE
> TABLE <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-createtable.html>, ALTER TABLE
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-altertable.html>, etc).  The
> output-control RETURNING clause gets its own page
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/dml-returning.html>, but I'm unaware of
> any other meta-summary of output values.
>
> *Is there a summary of what PG returns in response to each of the various
> statements that it supports?  If not, should there be?*

I think starting with commit 2f9661311b83 it might be possible to create
such a table.  I'm wary of documenting this painting us into a corner
forever, though.

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=2f9661311b83dc481fc19f6e3bda015392010a40