Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication
Дата
Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication  (Masahiko Sawada <masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:21:17PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 8:01 AM Masahiko Sawada
><masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 20:14, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > I had written above in the context of persisting these stats.  I mean
>> > to say if the process has bounced or server has restarted then the
>> > previous stats might not make much sense because we were planning to
>> > use pid [1], so the stats from process that has exited might not make
>> > much sense or do you think that is okay?  If we don't want to persist
>> > and the lifetime of these stats is till the process is alive then we
>> > are fine.
>> >

>> Sorry for confusing you. The above my idea is about having the stats
>> per slots. That is, we add spill_txns, spill_count and spill_bytes to
>> pg_replication_slots or a new view pg_stat_logical_replication_slots
>> with some columns: slot_name plus these stats columns and stats_reset.
>> The idea is that the stats values accumulate until either the slot is
>> dropped, the server crashed, the user executes the reset function, or
>> logical decoding is performed with different logical_decoding_work_mem
>> value than the previous time. In other words, the stats values are
>> reset in either case. That way, I think the stats values always
>> correspond to logical decoding using the same slot with the same
>> logical_decoding_work_mem value.
>>

>What if the decoding has been performed by multiple backends using the
>same slot?  In that case, it will be difficult to make the judgment
>for the value of logical_decoding_work_mem based on stats.  It would
>make sense if we provide a way to set logical_decoding_work_mem for a
>slot but not sure if that is better than what we have now.
>
>What problems do we see in displaying these for each process?  I think
>users might want to see the stats for the exited processes or after
>server restart but I think both of those are not even possible today.
>I think the stats are available till the corresponding WALSender
>process is active.

I don't quite see what the problem is. We're in this exact position with
many other stats we track and various GUCs. If you decide to tune the
setting for a particular slot, you simply need to be careful which
backends decode the slot and what GUC values they used.

But I don't think this situation (multiple backends decoding the same
slot with different logical_decoding_work_mem values) is very common. In
most cases the backends/walsenders will all use the same value. If you
change that, you better remember that.

I really think we should not be inventing something that automatically
resets the stats when someone happens to change the GUC.

regards