Re: global barrier & atomics in signal handlers (Re: Atomicoperations within spinlocks)

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: global barrier & atomics in signal handlers (Re: Atomicoperations within spinlocks)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2020-06-17 10:34:31 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 3:28 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > > I think 0003 looks a little strange: it seems to be
> > > testing things that might be implementation details of other things,
> > > and I'm not sure that's really correct. In particular:
> > Hm? Isn't s_lock the, as its comment says, "platform-independent portion
> > of waiting for a spinlock."?  I also don't think we need to purely
> > follow external APIs in internal tests.
>
> I feel like we at least didn't use to use that on all platforms, but I
> might be misremembering.

There's only one definition of S_LOCK, and s_lock is the only spinlock
related user of perform_spin_delay(). So I don't think so?

> It seems odd and confusing that we have  both
> S_LOCK() and s_lock(), anyway. Differentiating functions based on case
> is not great practice.

It's a terrible idea, yes.  Since we don't actually have any non-default
implementations of S_LOCK, perhaps we should just rip it out? It'd
probably be clearer if SpinLockAcquire() would be what uses TAS() and
falls back to s_lock (best renamed to s_lock_slowpath or such).

It'd perhaps also be good to make SpinLockAcquire() a static inline
instead of a #define, so it can be properly attributed in debuggers and
profilers.

Greetings,

Andres Freund