Re: Towards easier AMs: Cleaning up inappropriate use of name"relkind"

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Towards easier AMs: Cleaning up inappropriate use of name"relkind"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Jun-03, Mark Dilger wrote:

> The name "relkind" normally refers to a field of type 'char' with
> values like 'r' for "table" and 'i' for "index".  In AlterTableStmt
> and CreateTableAsStmt, this naming convention was abused for a field
> of type enum ObjectType.

I agree that "relkind" here is a misnomer, and I bet that what happened
here is that the original patch Gavin developed was using the relkind
enum from pg_class and was later changed to the OBJECT_ defines after
patch review, but the struct member name remained.  I don't object to
the proposed renaming.