Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 07:41:55PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 10:52:41AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > One more observation:
> >
> > Allow inserts to trigger autovacuum activity (Laurenz Albe, Darafei
> > Praliaskouski)
> > This new behavior allows pages to be set as all-visible, which then
> > allows index-only scans, ...
>
> > The above sentence sounds to mean that this feature allows index-only
> > scans in more number of cases after this feature.  Is that what you
> > intend to say? If so, is that correct?  Because I think this will
> > allow index-only scans to skip "Heap Fetches" in more cases.
>
> I think what you mean is that the autovacuum feature, in addition to
> encouraging the *planner* to choose an indexonly scan, will *also* allow (at
> execution time) fewer heap fetches for a plan which would have
> already/previously used IOS.  Right ?  So maybe it should say "allows OR
> IMPROVES index-only scans" or "allows plans which use IOS to run more
> efficiently".

Yes, I see your point now.  New text is:

    This new behavior reduces the work necessary when the table
    needs to be frozen and allows pages to be set as all-visible.
    All-visible pages allow index-only scans to access fewer heap rows.

Сообщение: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Сообщение: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft