Re: where should I stick that backup?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: where should I stick that backup?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2020-04-12 11:04:46 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I would expect that we would want to provide a flexible way for a
> target or filter to be passed options from the pg_basebackup command
> line. So one might for example write this:
>
> pg_basebackup --filter='lz4 -9' --filter='encrypt-with-rot13
> rotations=2' --target='shell ssh rhaas@depository pgfile
> create-exclusive - %f.lz4'

My gut feeling is that this would end up with too complicated
pg_basebackup invocations, resulting in the complexity getting
reimplemented in the target command.  A lot of users don't want to
figure out what compression, encryption, ... command makes sense for
which archiving target. And e.g. an s3 target might want to integrate
with an AWS HSM etc, making it unattractive to do the encryption outside
the target.

Greetings,

Andres Freund