Re: backup manifests

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: backup manifests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2020-03-31 14:56:07 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 11:10 AM Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 12:16:31PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > > On 2020-03-30 15:04:55 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > > I'm mildly inclined to name it pg_validate, pg_validate_dbdir or
> > > such. And eventually (definitely not this release) subsume pg_checksums
> > > in it. That way we can add other checkers too.
> >
> > Works for me; of those two, I prefer pg_validate.
> >

> pg_validate sounds like a tool with a much bigger purpose.  I think
> even things like amcheck could also fall under it.

Intentionally so. We don't serve our users by collecting a lot of
differently named commands to work with data directories. A I wrote
above, the point would be to eventually have that tool also perform
checksum validation etc.  Potentially even in a single pass over the
data directory.

> This patch has two parts (a) Generate backup manifests for base
> backups, and (b) Validate backup (manifest).  It seems to me that
> there are not many things pending for (a), can't we commit that first
> or is it the case that (a) depends on (b)?  This is *not* a suggestion
> to leave pg_validatebackup from this release rather just to commit if
> something is ready and meaningful on its own.

IDK, it seems easier to be able to modify both at the same time.

Greetings,

Andres Freund