Re: Authentication prompt for mbox downloads

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Authentication prompt for mbox downloads
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Greetings,

* Stefan Kaltenbrunner (stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc) wrote:
> On 3/29/20 9:24 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> >> I guess the question there is- how hard would it be for someone to
> >> script the community auth process, so that they can automatically
> >> download the mbox's each month, if they wish to..?
> >
> > Complicated enough that a process like that is going to be *really* annoying.

Hrmpf, really?

> if we are just talking about providing a monthly mbox file to download
> we could probably just provide a completely different way to provide
> that data that does not involve dynamically generating it in real-time...

Being able to download just a single thread as an mbox is really awful
handy.

> >> I'm guessing it's probably not that hard, but that's the one thing that
> >> comes to mind regarding this proposal..  Otherwise I am generally in
> >> support of requiring community auth for this instead of using the basic
> >> auth method we have today.
> >
> > One of the original usecases for "download thread as mbox" was you, I
> > believe , which was basically about opening a mailbox directly from
> > inside mutt or something? Isn't that also going to be a lot more
> > annoying from something like this?
>
> I dont understand that argument - so mutt directly does http and http
> basic auth or what is the usecase? If it is just clicking in your
> browser and have that link fed into mutt by means of mime-type or file
> extension detection that would just work as before...

The use-case is something with wget/curl to actually pull down the mbox
of the month or of the thread.  If it's actually hard to script one of
those to work with community auth then that would definitely be an issue
for at least some of the users of it.

I suppose there's another thought in here around having different
end-points to the archives, et al.  That is- keep the existing
end-points with basic auth but don't link to that from the web page
archive and instead have it linked from some other page that talks about
how to use basic auth to pull down the mboxes.  Then, on the web
archive, have a link to an end-point that uses community auth.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Authentication prompt for mbox downloads
Сообщение: Re: Authentication prompt for mbox downloads