Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2020-03-21 13:45:54 -0700, pabloa98 wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 12:08 PM Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> wrote:
>     And I think that "care about gaps -> sequence doesn't work" is a
>     knee-jerk reaction. It's similar to "can't parse HTML with regexps".
>     True in the general case, and therefore people tend to blurt it out
>     every time the topic comes up. But not necessarily true in specific
>     cases. As I wrote above, there is no perfect solution - so you have to
>     think about the actual requirements and the consequences of various
>     solutions - and maybe using a sequence is the best (or least bad)
>     solution.
>
> OK. In that case, I will proceed with the millions of sequences. We will see.

Nonononononononono! (channelling Jean-Claude Laprie[1])

I was trying to say that in each case one should think about the pros
and cons of different approaches and be wary of dogmatic rules.

I wasn't recommending the use of sequences in your case. I would
actually be surprised if they work well for you.

But having said that - by all means try it. Maybe it does work, and
you'll give a talk about "The 50 million sequences database" at a
conference next year :-). Or maybe it doesn't, and then you'll have
learned something about where the actual limits are.

        hp

[1] I don't expect you to know him :-)

Вложения