Re: PG12 autovac issues

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: PG12 autovac issues
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

On 2020-03-19 10:23:48 -0500, Justin King wrote:
> > From a single stats snapshot we can't actually understand the actual xid
> > consumption - is it actually the xid usage that triggers the vacuums?
>
> We have looked at this and the xid consumption averages around 1250
> xid/sec -- this is when we see the "aggressive" autovac kick off in
> the logs.  What I don't understand is why these xid's are being
> consumed at this rate on the databases with no activity (postgres,
> template1).

The xid counter is global across all databases.

> > What makes you think it is a problem that you have all these vacuums? If
> > you actually update that much, and you have indexes, you're going want a
> > lot of vacuums?

> I actually don't think there's a problem with the vacuums (I was
> mostly pointing out that they are very regular and not problematic).
> The main problem I am having is that something is causing the
> autovacuums to completely stop and require manual intervention to
> resume -- and it seems to be when the "postgres" or "template1"
> database hits the autovacuum_freeze_max_age.

Did you look at pg_stat_activity for those autovacuums to see whether
they're blocked on something?

> > > What is interesting is that this happens with the 'postgres' and
> > > 'template1' databases as well and there is absolutely no activity in
> > > those databases.
> >
> > That's normal. They should be pretty darn quick in v12?
>
> Yes, a manual VACUUM FREEZE of either database takes less than 1
> second -- which is why it's perplexing that the autovac starts and
> never seems to complete and prevents other autovacs from running.

One big difference between a manual VACUUM and autovacuum is that with
the default settings VACUUM is not throttled, but autovacuum is.

What are your vacuum_cost_delay, autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay,
vacuum_cost_limit, autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit, vacuum_cost_page_hit,
vacuum_cost_page_miss set to?

Greetings,

Andres Freund