Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)
Дата
Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2020-03-17 20:42:07 +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > I think Andres was thinking this would maybe be an optimization independent of
> > is_insert_only (?)
>
> I wasn't sure.

I'm not sure myself - but I'm doubtful that using a 0 min age by default
will be ok.

I was trying to say (in a later email) that I think it might be a good
compromise to opportunistically freeze if we're dirtying the page
anyway, but not optimize WAL emission etc. That's a pretty simple
change, and it'd address a lot of the potential performance regressions,
while still freezing for the "first" vacuum in insert only workloads.

> Add "autovacuum_vacuum_insert_threshold" and
> "autovacuum_vacuum_insert_scale_factor" GUC and reloption.
> The default value for the threshold is 10000000.
> The scale factor defaults to 0, which means that it is
> effectively disabled, but it offers some flexibility
> to tune the feature similar to other autovacuum knobs.

I don't think a default scale factor of 0 is going to be ok. For
large-ish tables this will basically cause permanent vacuums. And it'll
sometimes trigger for tables that actually coped well so far. 10 million
rows could be a few seconds, not more.

I don't think that the argument that otherwise a table might not get
vacuumed before autovacuum_freeze_max_age is convincing enough.

a) if that's indeed the argument, we should increase the default
  autovacuum_freeze_max_age - now that there's insert triggered vacuums,
  the main argument against that from before isn't valid anymore.

b) there's not really a good arguments for vacuuming more often than
  autovacuum_freeze_max_age for such tables. It'll not be not frequent
  enough to allow IOS for new data, and you're not preventing
  anti-wraparound vacuums from happening.

Greetings,

Andres Freund