Re: Identifying user-created objects

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Identifying user-created objects
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Wed, 4 Mar 2020 21:07:05 +0900, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote in

> >> Yes. But I'm sure that DBA has already considered the measures
> >> againt such threads. Otherwise malicious users can do anything
> >> more malicious rather than changing oid.
> > Agreed. So that's not a serious problem in practice but we cannot say
> > the checking by pg_is_user_object() is totally enough for checking
> > whether malicious object exists or not. Is that right?
>
> Yes.
>
> My opinion is that, if malious users are not allowed to log in
> as superusers and the admin give no permission on the system
> schema/catalog to them, checking whether the object is defined
> under pg_catalog schema or not is enough for your purpose.
> Because they are also not allowed to create the object under
> pg_catalog. pg_is_user_object() seems not necessary.
>
> OTOH, if you address the case where malicious users can create
> the object under pg_catalog, of course, checking whether
> the object is defined under pg_catalog schema or not is enough
> for the purpose. But pg_is_user_object() is also not enough
> because such users can change oid.

The discussion seems assuming the feature is related to some security
measure.  But I think I haven't seen the objective or use case for the
feature. I don't see how we should treat them according the result
from the "user-defined objects detection" feature.

For example, we could decide a function whether to be pushed-out or
not to remote server on postgres_fdw. In this case, we need to ask "is
the behavior of this function known to us?", in short, "is this
function is predefined?".  In this use case, we have no concern if DBA
have added some functions as "not user-defined", since it's their own
risk.

I don't come up with another use cases but, anyway, I think we need to
clarify the scope of the feature.

regads.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi