Re: error context for vacuum to include block number

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: error context for vacuum to include block number
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 03, 2020 at 04:49:00PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > I think you should still call errcontext() when blkno is invalid.
> >
> > In my experience while testing, the conditional avoids lots of CONTEXT noise
> > from interrupted autovacuum, at least.  I couldn't easily reproduce it with the
> > current patch, though, maybe due to less pushing and popping.
>
> I think you're saying that the code had the bug that too many lines were
> reported because of excessive stack pushes, and you worked around it by
> making the errcontext() be conditional; and that now the bug is fixed by
> avoiding the push/pop games -- which explains why you can no longer
> reproduce it.  I don't see why you want to keep the no-longer-needed
> workaround.

No - the issue I observed from autovacuum ("while scanning block number
4294967295") was unrelated to showing multiple context lines (that issue I only
saw in the v22 patch, and was related to vacuum_one_index being used by both
leader and parallel workers).

The locations showing a block number first set vacrelstats->blkno to
InvalidBlockNumber, and then later update the vacrelstats->blkno from a loop
variable.  I think today's v24 patch makes it harder to hit the window where
it's set to InvalidBlockNumber, by moving VACUUM_HEAP context into
vacuum_page(), but I don't think we should rely on an absence of
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() to avoid misleading noise context.

--
Justin