Can I trigger an action from a coalesce ?

От stan
Тема Can I trigger an action from a coalesce ?
Дата
Re: Can I trigger an action from a coalesce ?  ("Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at>)
Список pgsql-general
I have a case where if a value does not exist, I am going to use a default,
which is easy with coalesce. But I would like to warn the user that a
default has been supplied. The default value is reasonable, and could
actually come from the source table, so I can't just check the value.
I'd like to do a raise NOTICE, if the default portion of the coalesce fires.

Anyone have a good way to accomplish this?

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin