Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names
Дата
Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Jan-23, Tom Lane wrote:

> That particular case could be improved by stopping at a dash ... but
> since this code is also used to match strings like "A.M.", we can't
> just exclude punctuation in general.  Breaking at whitespace seems
> like a reasonable compromise.

Yeah, and there are cases where dashes are used in names -- browsing
through glibc for example I quickly found Akan, for which the month names are:

mon  "Sanda-<U0186>p<U025B>p<U0254>n";/
     "Kwakwar-<U0186>gyefuo";/
     "Eb<U0254>w-<U0186>benem";/

and so on.  Even whitespace is problematic for some languages, such as Afan,

mon      "Qunxa Garablu";/
         "Naharsi Kudo";/
         "Ciggilta Kudo";/
(etc) but I think whitespace-splitting is going to be more comprehensible
in the vast majority of cases, even if not perfect.