Re: Session WAL activity

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Session WAL activity
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Fri, 6 Dec 2019 11:22:14 +0300, Konstantin Knizhnik <k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru> wrote in

> On 06.12.2019 4:57, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 12:23:40PM +0300, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:
> > Please see pgstat.h, close to pgstat_report_wait_start().
>
> Sorry, I do not understand what should I look for?
> Do you mean this comment:
>     /*
>      * Since this is a four-byte field which is always read and
> written as
>      * four-bytes, updates are atomic.
>      */
>
> Yes, I already  have noticed that as far as walWritten is 64-bit, its
> update is not atomic at 32-bit platforms and so it is possible to see
> sometimes incorrect values.
> So monotone observe of walWritten can be violated. From my point of
> view it is not so critical to enforce update of this fields under lock
> or accumulating result in local variable with later write it to
> backend status at commit time as Kyotaro proposed. Monitoring of WAL
> activity is especially interested for long living transactions and
> from my point of view it is much more
> important to be able to see up-to-date but may be not always correct
> information then do not see any information at all before commit.
> Please also take in account the percent of 32-bit Postgres
> installations and probability of observing non-atomic update of 64-bit
> walWritten field (I think that you will have no chances to see it even
> if you will run Postgres for a years).

Still I'm not sure non-atomic write is acceptable, but I agree on the
necessity of updating it during a transaction. Couldn't we update
shared stats every n bytes (XLOG_BLCKSZ or such) or every command end?

I think we should refrain from inserting an instruction within the
WALInsertLock section, but I'm not sure which is better between "var
+= var" within the section and "if (inserted) var += var;" outside. If
we can ignore the possitbility of the case where xlogswitch is
omitted, the "if (inserted)" is not needed.

> But what I mean by "wrongly report backend wait event status" is that
> pg_stat_activity may report wait event status for wrong backend.
> I.e. if backend is already terminated and its PGPROC entry is reused
> by some other backend, than you can see incorrect wait event
> information:
> backend with such PID actually never sleep on this event.

I saw a case where an entry with very old xact_start_timestamp
suddenly popped up in pg_stat_activity but I haven't found the cause..

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center