Re: xact_start for walsender & logical decoding not updated

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: xact_start for walsender & logical decoding not updated
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 09:42:17AM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
>At Tue, 10 Dec 2019 00:44:09 +0100, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote in
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think there's a minor bug in pg_stat_activity tracking of walsender
>> processes. The issue is that xact_start is only updated at the very
>> beginning when the walsender starts (so it's almost exactly equal to
>> backend_start) and then just flips between NULL and that value.
>>
>> Reproducing this is trivial - just create a publication/subscription
>> with the built-in logical replication, and run arbitrary workload.
>> You'll see that the xact_start value never changes.
>>
>> I think the right fix is calling SetCurrentStatementStartTimestamp()
>> right before StartTransactionCommand() in ReorderBufferCommit, per the
>> attached patch.
>
>I'm not sure how much xact_start for walsender is useful and we really
>is not running a statement there.  Also autovac launcher starts
>transaction without a valid statement timestamp perhaps for the same
>reason.

Maybe, but then maybe we should change it so that we don't report any
timestamps for such processes.

>However, if we want to show something meaningful there, I think
>commit_time might be more informative there.  If we use
>GetCurrentTimestamp(), StartTransaction() already has the same feature
>for autonomous transactions. I suppose we should do them a unified
>way.

I don't think so. We have this information from the apply side, and this
is really about the *new* transaction started in reorderbuffer.

regards