Re: Simple DELETE on modest-size table runs 100% CPU forever

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: Simple DELETE on modest-size table runs 100% CPU forever
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 02:19:51PM -0800, Craig James wrote:
> I'm completely baffled by this problem: I'm doing a delete that joins three
> modest-sized tables, and it gets completely stuck: 100% CPU use forever.
> Here's the query:
>
> explain analyze
>  select count(1) from registry.categories
>   where category_id = 15 and id in
>     (select c.id from registry.categories c
>      left join registry.category_staging_15 st on (c.id = st.id)  where
> c.category_id = 15 and st.id is null);
>
> If I leave out the "analyze", here's what I get (note that the

Do you mean that you're doing DELETE..USING, and that's an explain for SELECT
COUNT() with same join conditions ?  Can you show explain for the DELETE, and
\d for the tables ?

If there's FKs, do the other tables have indices on their referencING columns ?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/ddl-constraints.html#DDL-CONSTRAINTS-FK
"Since a DELETE of a row from the referenced table [...] will require a scan of
the referencing table for rows matching the old value, it is often a good idea
to index the referencing columns too."

Justin

Сообщение: Re: Simple DELETE on modest-size table runs 100% CPU forever
Сообщение: Re: Simple DELETE on modest-size table runs 100% CPU forever