Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 06:30:39PM +0900, Moon, Insung wrote:
>Dear  Magnus Hagander.
>
>On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 5:37 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 9:33 AM Tels <nospam-pg-abuse@bloodgate.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Moin,

>>> IMHO the general rule in crypto is: encrypt everything, or don't bother.
>>>
>>> If you don't encrypt some things, somebody is going to find loopholes
>>> and sidechannels
>>> and partial-plaintext attacks. Just a silly example: If you trick the DB
>>> into putting only one row per page,
>>> any "bit-per-page" map suddenly reveals information about a single
>>> encrypted row that it shouldn't reveal.
>>>
>>> Many people with a lot of free time on their hands will sit around,
>>> drink a nice cup of tea and come up
>>> with all sorts of attacks on these things that you didn't (and couldn't)
>>> anticipate now.
>>>
>>> So IMHO it would be much better to err on the side of caution and
>>> encrypt everything possible.
>>

>> +1.
>>
>> Unless we are *absolutely* certain, I bet someone will be able to find a side-channel that somehow leaks some data
ordata-about-data, if we don't encrypt everything. If nothing else, you can get use patterns out of it, and you can
makea lot from that. (E.g. by whether transactions are using multixacts or not you can potentially determine which
transactionthey are, if you know what type of transactions are being issued by the application. In the simplest case,
theremight be a single pattern where multixacts end up actually being used, and in that case being able to see the
multixactdata tells you a lot about the system).

>> As for other things -- by default, we store the log files in text format in the data directory. That contains
*loads*of sensitive data in a lot of cases. Will those also be encrypted?

>Maybe...as a result of the discussion so far, we are not encrypted of
>the server log.
>
>https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Transparent_Data_Encryption#What_to_encrypt.2Fdecrypt
>
>I think Encrypting server logs can be a very difficult challenge,
>and will probably need to develop another application to see the
>encrypted server logs.

IMO leaks of sensitive data into the server log (say, as part of error
messages, slow queries, ...) are a serious issue. It's one of the main
issues with pgcrypto-style encryption, because it's trivial to leak e.g.
keys into the server log. Even if proper key management prevents leaking
keys, there are still user data - say, credit card numbers, and such.

So I don't see how we could not encrypt the server log, in the end.

But yes, you're right it's a challenging topis.

regards