Re: Modest proposal for making bpchar less inconsistent

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Modest proposal for making bpchar less inconsistent
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Sat, 28 Sep 2019 08:22:22 -0400, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote in <20190928122222.GA26853@momjian.us>
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 09:50:10PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> >

> > Dne pá 13. 9. 2019 16:43 uživatel Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> napsal:
> >
> >     It struck me that the real reason that we keep getting gripes about
> >     the weird behavior of CHAR(n) is that these functions (and, hence,
> >     their corresponding operators) fail to obey the "trailing blanks
> >     aren't significant" rule:
> >
> >                    regprocedure                |        prosrc
> >     -------------------------------------------+----------------------
> >      bpcharlike(character,text)                | textlike
> >      bpcharnlike(character,text)               | textnlike
> >      bpcharicregexeq(character,text)           | texticregexeq
> >      bpcharicregexne(character,text)           | texticregexne
> >      bpcharregexeq(character,text)             | textregexeq
> >      bpcharregexne(character,text)             | textregexne
> >      bpchariclike(character,text)              | texticlike
> >      bpcharicnlike(character,text)             | texticnlike
> >
> >     They're just relying on binary compatibility of bpchar to text ...
> >     but of course textlike etc. think trailing blanks are significant.
> >
> >     Every other primitive operation we have for bpchar correctly ignores
> >     the trailing spaces.
> >
> >     We could fix this, and save some catalog space too, if we simply
> >     deleted these functions/operators and let such calls devolve
> >     into implicit casts to text.
> >
> >     This might annoy people who are actually writing trailing spaces
> >     in their patterns to make such cases work.  But I think there
> >     are probably not too many such people, and having real consistency
> >     here is worth something.
> >

> > has sense
>
> Yes, I think this is a great idea!

I totally agree.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

От: "Moon, Insung"
Сообщение: Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files
От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: Optimize partial TOAST decompression