Re: [HACKERS] CLUSTER command progress monitor

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [HACKERS] CLUSTER command progress monitor
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 11:45:47AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I have provided a short summary of the two issues on the open item
> page (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_12_Open_Items) as
> the open item was too much evasive.  Here is a copy-paste for the
> archives of what I wrote:
> 1) A progress may be started while another one is already in progress.
> Hence, if progress gets stopped the previously-started state is
> removed, causing all follow-up updates to not happen.
> 2) Progress updates happening in a code path shared between those
> three commands may clobber a previous state present.
>
> Regarding 1) and based on what I found in the code, you can blame
> REINDEX reporting which has added progress_start calls in code paths
> which are also taken by CREATE INDEX and CLUSTER, causing their
> progress reporting to go to the void.  In order to fix this one we
> could do what I summarized in [1].
>
> [1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20190905010316.GB14853@paquier.xyz

So, with the clock ticking and the release getting close by, what do
we do for this set of issues?  REINDEX, CREATE INDEX and CLUSTER all
try to build indexes and the current infrastructure is not really
adapted to hold all that.  Robert, Alvaro and Peter E, do you have any
comments to offer?
--
Michael

Вложения