Re: Proposal: roll pg_stat_statements into core

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Proposal: roll pg_stat_statements into core
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Sep 01, 2019 at 08:12:15PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hi
>
> ne 1. 9. 2019 v 20:00 odesílatel David Fetter <david@fetter.org> napsal:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > I'd like to $Subject, on by default, with a switch to turn it off for
> > those really at the outer edges of performance. Some reasons include:
> >
> > - It's broadly useful.
> > - Right now, the barrier for turning it on is quite high. In addition
> >   to being non-core, which is already a pretty high barrier at a lot
> >   of organizations, it requires a shared_preload_libraries setting,
> >   which is pretty close to untenable in a lot of use cases.
> > - The overhead for most use cases is low compared to the benefit.
> >

> I have not a strong opinion about it. pg_stat_statements is really useful
> extenstion, on second hand
>
> 1. the API is not stabilized yet - there are some patches related to this
> extension if I remember correctly

You do.

> 2. there are not any numbers what is a overhead

What numbers would you suggest collecting?  We could get some by
running them with the extension loaded and not, although this goes to
your next proposal.

> Maybe better solution can be some new API for shared memory, that doesn't
> need to use shared_preload_library.

What would such an API look like?

> It can be useful for lot of other monitoring extensions, profilers,
> debuggers,

It would indeed.

Do you see this new API as a separate project, and if so, of
approximately what size?  Are we talking about something about the
size of DSM? Of JIT?

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Сообщение: Re: Proposal: roll pg_stat_statements into core
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: roll pg_stat_statements into core