Re: Postgres HA - pacemaker RA do not support auto failback

От Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais
Тема Re: Postgres HA - pacemaker RA do not support auto failback
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 16:38:44 +0530
Shital A <brightuser2019@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2019, 11:50 Shital A, <brightuser2019@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, 18:54 Adrien Nayrat, <adrien.nayrat@anayrat.info>
> > wrote:

> >> Which RA did you use? AFAIK there is two RA :
> >> - pgsql :
> >> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/blob/master/heartbeat/pgsql
> >> - PAF : http://clusterlabs.github.io/PAF/ (Which is different from pgsql
> >> RA :
> >> http://clusterlabs.github.io/PAF/FAQ.html#why-new-ra-for-postgresql)
> >>
> >> If I am right, PAF should handle the case when there no need to perform
> >> pgrewind
> >> (if the old master is not too advanced in the transaction log).

PAF only make sure controlled failover (aka switchover) performs safely so the
old master hook back as a standby correctly.

Should a failure occurs with an automatic failover, PAF has no dark magic to
automagicaly failoback the failing master as a standby.

> > We are using the pgsql RA installed with pacemaker.
> >
> > Is PAF recommended over pgsql?

Yes, as much as the historical RA.

> > Has anyone changed pgsql to handle the lock file and other cases that
> > might not have been handled?

I don't know. However, I do think it would be either presumptuous to climb this
road today.

> Looks like the previous email bounced, received undelivered message.
> Sending again. We are using the pgsql RA installed with pacemaker and seems
> like it prevents failback by creating a lock file. We want to implement
> auto failback and need pointers on how to implement.

The lock file is here because PgSQL has no safety belt against data corruption
when an old master hook on a new one while its LSN was further away from
the timeline fork. You must take care of this by yourself.

Moreover, should a failover occurs, you should probably check WHY it occurred
and fix things before performing a blindly failback of a potential wounded
instance. A wounded instance can hurt your cluster in many different and
inconfortable ways.

Last, as Adrien wrote, you can manually use pg_rewind to revert the old master
to the timeline fork, as far as you enabled checksums or 'wal_log_hints=on' and
kept enough WAL around.

Another option is just to make sure you are able to build a new standby as was
fast as possible.

But remember: if your data is important, use quorum, fencing and watchdog.

Good luck.

Сообщение: Re: GIST/GIN index not used with Row Level Security
Сообщение: Re: GIST/GIN index not used with Row Level Security