Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 08:07:49PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 12:18:47AM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 06:04:30PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > Greetings,

> > > Alvaro suggested elsewhere that we require checksums for these, which
> > > would also force wal_log_hints to be on, and therefore the LSN would
> > > change.
> > >

> > Oh, I see - yes, that would solve the hint bits issue. Not sure we want
> > to combine the features like this, though, as it increases the costs of
> > TDE. But maybe it's the best solution.
>
> Uh, why can't we just force log_hint_bits for encrypted tables?  Why
> would we need to use checksums as well?

When we were considering CBC mode for heap/index pages, a change of a
hint bit would change all later 16-byte encrypted blocks.  Now that we
are using CTR mode, a change of a hint bit will only change a bit on the
stored page.

Someone could compare the old and new pages and see that a bit was
changed.  This would make log_hint_bits less of a requirement with CTR
mode, though leaking hit bit changes is probably not ideal.  Perhaps
log_hint_bits should be a recommendation and not a requirement.

Сообщение: Re: block-level incremental backup
Сообщение: Re: block-level incremental backup