Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 03:07:59PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>* Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
>> >
>> > I think TDE is feature of questionable value at best and the idea that
>> > we would fundmentally change the internals of Postgres to add more
>> > features to it seems very unlikely.  I realize we have to discuss it so
>> > we don't block reasonable future feature development.
>>
>> I have a new crazy idea.  I know we concluded that allowing multiple
>> independent keys, e.g., per user, per table, didn't make sense since
>> they have to be unlocked all the time, e.g., for crash recovery and
>> vacuum freeze.
>
>I'm a bit confused as I never agreed that made any sense and I continue
>to feel that it doesn't make sense to have one key for everything.
>
>Crash recovery doesn't happen "all the time" and neither does vacuum
>freeze, and autovacuum processes are independent of individual client
>backends- we don't need to (and shouldn't) have the keys in shared
>memory.

Don't people do physical replication / HA pretty much all the time?

>> However, that assumes that all heap/index pages are encrypted, and all
>> of WAL.  What if we encrypted only the user-data part of the page, i.e.,
>> tuple data.  We left xmin/xmax unencrypted, and only stored the
>> encrypted part of that data in WAL, and didn't encrypt any more of WAL.
>
>This is pretty much what Alvaro was suggesting a while ago, isn't it..?
>Have just the user data be encrypted in the table and in the WAL stream.

It's also moving us much closer to pgcrypto-style encryption ...

>> That might allow crash recovery and the freeze part of VACUUM FREEZE to
>> work.  (I don't think we could vacuum since we couldn't read the index
>> pages to find the matching rows since the index values would be encrypted
>> too.  We might be able to not encrypt the tid in the index typle.)
>
>Why do we need the indexed values to vacuum the index..?  We don't
>today, as I recall.  We would need the tids though, yes.

Well, we also do collect statistics on the data, for example. But even
if we assume we wouldn't do that for encrypted indexes (which seems like
a pretty bad idea to me), you'd probably end up leaking information
about ordering of the values. Which is generally a pretty serious
information leak, AFAICS.

>> Is this something considering in version one of this feature?  Probably
>> not, but later?  Never?  Would the information leakage be too great,
>> particularly from indexes?
>
>What would be leaking from the indexes..?  That an encrypted blob in the
>index pointed to a given tid?  Wouldn't someone be able to see that same
>information by looking directly at the relation too?

Ordering of values, for example. Depending on how exactly the data is
encrypted we might also be leaking information about which values are
equal, etc. It also seems quite a bit more expensive to use such index.

regards