Re: partition routing layering in nodeModifyTable.c

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: partition routing layering in nodeModifyTable.c
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-08-01 18:38:09 +0900, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 10:33 AM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If it's the approach of adding a resultRelation Index field to
> > ForeignScan node, I tried and had to give up, realizing that we don't
> > maintain ResultRelInfos in an array that is indexable by RT indexes.
> > It would've worked if es_result_relations had mirrored es_range_table,
> > although that probably complicates how the individual ModifyTable
> > nodes attach to that array.

We know at plan time what the the resultRelation offset for a
ModifyTable node is. We just need to transport that to the respective
foreign scan node, and update it properly in setrefs?  Then we can index
es_result_relations without any additional mapping?

Maybe I'm missing something? I think all we need to do is to have
setrefs.c:set_plan_refs() iterate over ->fdwDirectModifyPlans or such,
and set the respective node's result_relation_offset or whatever we're
naming it to splan->resultRelIndex + offset from fdwDirectModifyPlans?

> > In any case, given this discussion, further hacking on a global
> > variable like es_result_relations may be a course we might not want
> > to pursue.

I don't think es_result_relations really is problem - it doesn't have to
change while processing individual subplans / partitions / whatnot.  If
we needed a mapping between rtis and result indexes, I'd not see a
problem. Doubtful it's needed though.

There's a fundamental difference between EState->es_result_relations and
EState->es_result_relation_info. The former stays static during the
whole query once initialized, whereas es_result_relation_info changes
depending on which relation we're processing. The latter is what makes
the code more complicated, because we cannot ever return early etc.

Similarly, ModifyTableState->mt_per_subplan_tupconv_maps is not a
problem, it stays static, but e.g. mtstate->mt_transition_capture is a
problem, because we have to change for each subplan / routing /
partition movement.

Greetings,

Andres Freund