Re: How to retain lesser paths at add_path()?

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: How to retain lesser paths at add_path()?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 06:28:08PM +0900, Kohei KaiGai wrote:
>2019年8月1日(木) 16:19 Richard Guo <riguo@pivotal.io>:

>>> Hmm... It looks the problem we ought to revise about path construction
>>> is much larger than my expectation, and uncertain for me how much works
>>> are needed.
>>>
>>> Although it might be a workaround until fundamental reconstruction,
>>> how about to have a margin of estimated cost to reject paths?
>>> Current add_path() immediately rejects lesser paths if its cost is
>>> even a little more expensive than the compared one. One the other hands,
>>

>> Hmm.. I don't think so. Currently add_path() uses fuzzy comparisons on
>> costs of two paths, although the fuzz factor (1%) is hard coded and not
>> user-controllable.
>>
>Ah, sorry, I oversight this logic...

FWIW I doubt adding larger "fuzz factor" is unlikely to be a reliable
solution, because how would you know what value is the right one? Why ould
10% be the right threshold, for example? In my experience these these
hard-coded coefficients imply behavior that's difficult to predict and
explain to users.

>>> I understand it is not an essential re-design of path-construction logic, and
>>> may have limitation. However, amount of works are reasonable and no side-
>>> effect. (current behavior = 0% threshold).
>>> How about your opinions?
>>>

>> How's about Tom's suggestion on adding another dimension in add_path()
>> to be considered, just like how it considers paths of better sort order
>> or parallel-safe?
>>
>Robert also mentioned it makes comparison operation more complicated.
>If we try to have another dimension here, a callback function in Path node
>may be able to tell the core optimizer whether "dominated path" shall be
>dropped or not, without further complexity. It is just an idea.

I think adding a hook to add_path() allowing to override the decidion
should be OK. The chance of getting that committed in the near future
seems much higher than for a patch that completely reworks add_path().

There's one caveat, though - AFAICS various places in the planner use
things like cheapest_total_path, cheapest_startup_path and even
get_cheapest_path_for_pathkeys() which kinda assumes add_path() only
considers startup/total cost. It might happen that even after keeping
additional paths, the planner still won't use them :-(

regards