Re: BUG #15916: Confusing upgrade message

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: BUG #15916: Confusing upgrade message
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 08:32:04AM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      15916
> Logged by:          Marnanel Thurman
> Email address:      thomas@thurman.org.uk
> PostgreSQL version: 11.4
> Operating system:   Debian
>
> This happens with version 11.4-1.pgdg90+1 in
> http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ .
>
> The upgrade process prints this message:
>
>      Success. You can now start the database server using:
>
>          pg_ctlcluster 11 main start
>
> But the server is restarted automatically, immediately afterwards. So the
> message is confusing, and should be suppressed.

Uh, my guess is that initdb is being run as pg_ctlcluster, but that
there is some wrapper around that that is starting the database after
the initdb.  I think you need to report this as a bug to the people who
packaged this since pg_ctlcluster is Debian-specific.  Was there any
output after this to indicate the server had been started?